Search The Sanctuary of Saints Page

Sunday, April 28, 2013

What is a Lay person?

A Lay person, in my own words, is someone who carries out God's plan for them ( doing the will of God), without being ordained to do so. I bring this topic up because about two years ago I received a book filled with the writings of Ann the lay Apostles, and I never understood what exactly her role was in the Church so this is my go at it.

Lay is commonly defined and being in a certain profession but not being licensed or recongnized as a professional in that profession, such as I am a blogger, but I am not really famous for it, or very good at it.
So when Ann titles herself as the "Lay Apostle" she is in the profession of evangelizing, but she is simply licensing herself to do so. In a sense, all the people of the world are "Lay" at something, in the Church a Catholic Monk would be considered lay, because he is not what society would consider a professsional, but he takes up his role in praying in solitude and fasting for the common good of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment